Thursday, January 29, 2015

When to Use “Who," "That," and "Which"



Here are a few simple hints to help you decide whether to use “who,” “that,” or “which” in the  sentences that you write.


Use “who” when referring to people.


For example: The employee who answered my questions was very polite.


Use "that" for clauses that define something specific and provide necessary information.


For example: The pie that I made today was tart. (You are talking about a specific pie.)


Use "which" for clauses that can be removed without changing the meaning of the sentence. The movie, which I saw yesterday, was about a war hero. 


Clauses that begin with “which” can be placed between commas or in parentheses.


Click on the button below to visit my store to see my products and lessons on grammar and usage.

My Products on TeachersPayTeachers.com

All the best,