5 Capitalization Hints - and a Free Practice Exercise
5 Capitalization Hints
1. Don’t capitalize seasons:
summer, fall, winter, spring
2. Don’t capitalize school subjects unless they are followed by a number or they are a language.
These are correct: biology, Biology II, French, history, math, Algebra I
3. Capitalize directions if they name a region of the country, but not when they indicate a direction of the compass.
Correct: I love the food in the South.
Go two blocks north, and then turn west at the stop sign.
4. Do not capitalize earth, sun, or moon unless they appear in a list of other capitalized celestial bodies.
Correct: I love the smell of the earth after a rain.
Today we studied Earth, Jupiter, Mars, and Venus.
5. Do not capitalize, web, web page, web site, but do capitalize World Wide Web and Internet.
Correct: I am going to use the Internet today to create a new web page.
I cannot imagine how many web sites exist on the World Wide Web.